It may be 95 degrees out, but its officially Fall, and my favorite time of year! I guess now is the perfect time to share my Gluten Free & Vegan Pumpkin Scone Recipe – Which is an allergy free version of the famous Starbucks Pumpkin Scone that everybody seems to be crazy about.
Scones are great because they are not too sweet. Feel free to leave off the glaze if you want a more savory treat… But, the Spiced Glaze Drizzle is my favorite! These scones taste just like a pumpkin pie if you were to mix the pie crust in with the pumpkin – so good!
The tools and ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- 2 Cups of Erika's Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 6 Tablespoons Brown Sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Egg Replacer
- 1½ Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Cold Butter Alternative (I love Melt)
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 3 Tablespoons Applesauce (or 1 Large Egg)
- 3 Tablespoons Milk Alternative (I used Full Fat Coconut Cream)
- 1½ Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick silpat. Dust lightly with Tapioca Starch.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together Dry Ingredients. (I do this all in my stand mixer)
- Cut in the Cold Butter until mixture is dry & crumbly (I use my whisk attachment, but you can use a pastry tool if you are doing it by hand).
- Mix or Fold in Wet Ingredients until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Dough should be stiff and easy to handle.
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While Oven is Preheating, chill dough in refrigerator.
- Using dusted hands, place dough ball on your lined cookie sheet and gently press into a large circle.
- Dust rolling pin and roll out to approx 1" thick.
- Use a sharp knife or pastry scraping tool to cut the circle into 6 or 8 triangles.
- Separate the triangles slightly so they can bake on all sides.
- Bake for 13-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely before glazing.
- If desired, Glaze the tops of the scones, let harden, and then drizzle the tops with the Spiced Glaze for additional flavor (the drizzle is my favorite!)
- To prepare Glaze, mix the Powdered Sugar with the Vanilla and Milk - but only add the milk a little bit at a time in between stirring to avoid becoming too runny. You want the glaze loose, but not too watery. Reserve ⅓ of the glaze for your Spiced Drizzle.
- To the Spiced Drizzle, mix in the Pumpkin Pie Spice & Ground Ginger. Use a Cake Decorating Bag OR a Ziplock bag with the tip cut off to drizzle over the top of the scones.
Roll Out the Dough & Cut into Triangles or Wedges before cooking the dough. Typically you’ll get 8 good sized Scones, but feel free to shape & size them to your preference.