Not everyone will agree, but I’m a firm believer that what goes in your kids eyes & ears, should build good character, not destroy it! Just like food, if you put junk in, you’ll going to get junk out (both in heath & attitude). So, as a general rule, we carefully filter what type of media goes into our little sponges.
With so much garbage on TV these days, we made the choice many years ago to not have a TV. Well… we actually have a TV, just no signal or cable coming into the house. We do have a DVD player & subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and JellyTelly. Plus, all of our Smart Electronics (phones, computers, tablets & tv) run through a filtering software provided by Circle.
I also believe that children’s imaginations need to be fed and there’s no better way to encourage this then to read to you children & let them play outside. And while reading, they also learn to listen to your voice! Another of our favorite times together are listening to Radio Dramas – even our littlest ones love them!
I’ve put together a list with links to our family favorites… This list is as much for me as it is for you!
I’ll be adding to this list regularly as I find new links to Family Friendly, Wholesome & other shows that build character qualities that we encourage.
AUDIO / RADIO DRAMAS:
- Audible * – Amazon.com service for Audio Dramas. We play these on our Alexa enabled Dot Speaker
- Adventures In Odyssey – WhitsEnd.org (Produced by Focus on the Family)
- Odyssey Adventure Club* – OAClub.org (a subscription based service where you can listen to the entire Odyssey Collection on demand)
- HisKids Radio – HisKids.net (24/7 Streaming Programing & Music for Kids by Cornerstone University Radio)
- Down Gilead Lane – https://www.keysforkids.org/Programming/Down-Gilead-Lane/Read-Listen (Produced by CBH Ministries)
- Jonathan Park – JonathanPark.com (Produced by Vision Forum Ministries – they also have a subscription plan where you can listen to the entire Collection on demand)
- Ranger Bill* – The entire 221 episodes can be found at https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Ranger_Bill_Singles
- (Originally Produced by Moody Institute in the 1950’s).
- Patch the Pirate – PatchThePirate.org
- Paws & Tales – PawsAndTales.org (Produced by Chuck Swindoll and Insight for Living)
- The Pond – LifeAtThePond.com
- Lamplighter Theatre* – LampLighter.net (One of our families favorites – Audio Dramas are available for purchase OR listen to a free weekly radio program aired on https://lamplighter.net/c/theatre-2/lamplighter-audio-player/ – There’s also a subscription plan where you can listen to the entire collection on demand).
- JellyTelly* – JellyTelly.com (Produced by Phil Vischer, Creator of Veggie Tales & Focus on the Family)
- Dove Channel – DoveChannel.com
- PureFlix – PureFlix.com
- Smile of a Child – SmileOfAChildTV.org (Produced by the Trinity Broadcast Network)
- TCT Kids – TCTKids.tv
- Rescue Heroes – Fisher-Price.com
- Seeds Family Worship* – SeedsFamilyWorship.net (100% Scripture put to contemporary music)
MOVIE, MUSIC & VIDEO GAME REVIEWS:
- Plugged In – PluggedIn.com (Produced by Focus on the Family)
- Dove – Dove.org/reviews.asp
- Common Sense Media – CommonSenseMedia.org
- Circle by Disney * – Full protection option that gives parents control over Smart Phones, Smart TV’s, Computers, Tablets, Gaming Consoles & More!
* = Our Family Favorites!
What about you? Does your family have any favorites? Let me know… I’d love to add them to my list!