My oldest son’s 10th birthday was approaching so I asked him what kind of dessert he’d like at his party. He answered “Mommy, I’d like a TALL chocolate cake with chocolate frosting & writing on it like the ones at the store.” With much emphasis on the ‘tall’ part. With his sensitivity to all kinds of foods, including an allergy to eggs, I knew the cake had to be both Gluten Free & Vegan – and not too sweet. Thankfully I had the perfect recipe!
The best part about this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe is that it has an excellent rise & a moist texture similar to a devil’s food cake. Plus, it’s completely Vegan and made with whole food ingredients for an even healthier option vs. the store bought kind. I filled the 4 layer cake with homemade chocolate frosting & strawberry filling… Then topped it off with another thin layer of chocolate frosting & wrote his name on the top.
The big #10 birthday came & my son was delighted with his ‘tall’ cake… and it was promptly devoured by the nearly 20 attendees with no one wiser to the ingredients (or lack thereof).
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
This delicious Gluten Free & Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe is both moist & perfect for birthday cakes, cupcakes, mini cakes & donuts! Made with Whole Food ingredients
- 1 1/2 Cups (or approx. one 13 ounce can) Unsweetened Coconut Milk – not the low fat kind
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 Cups Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
DRY MIX INGREDIENTS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray (2) 8″ Round Cake Pans or (1) 9 x 13 Rectangular Pan with nonstick spray & Dust with cocoa powder. Use cupcake liners if making cupcakes. Set Aside
- Whisk the Coconut Milk & Apple Cider Vinegar together in your mixing bowl or stand mixer with whisk attachment and set aside while you gather your other ingredients.
- Add in the Applesauce, Coconut Oil & Vanilla Extract & beat until mixture is a bit foamy.
- Whisk together all of your Dry Mix Ingredients & gradually add to the the wet ingredients while mixing.
- Beat on Medium-High Speed until no lumps remain – It should be smooth and pourable.
- Divide batter evenly between your cake pans.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I generally cook my Gluten Free Baked Goods until they register 210-220 on my digital thermometer. Trust the temperature & toothpick over the actual time cooked since every oven & pan cooks differently.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
I’ve used this recipe to successfully make Cupcakes, Donuts, Mini Cakes, Sheet Cakes & a 4 Layer Birthday Cake!
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 270
It may not have been the prettiest cake, but my son was happy at how tall it turned out. Time always flies when you’re in love… How is he 10 already?!