When I was a kid, I put ketchup on EVERYTHING. It was much to the horror of my grandfather who insisted that Ketchup ruined food… But, I didn’t care and was always generous with the red stuff. I may not use it as much nowadays, but we do use it regularly and my kids love it!
Although the natural brands are a much better option than Heinz 57 (which contains High Fructose Corn Syrup), they are expensive and never quite taste right. Plus, I needed a truly Gluten Free option for my kids – I know that regular vinegar is supposed to be gluten free, but grain based vinegar definitely irritates my little one with Celiac.
This Homemade Ketchup Recipe is Gluten Free, Super Easy, and tastes like ‘Real’ Ketchup – even my toughest critics (the neighbor kids) like it. I usually double the recipe and it turns out great!
Confession: I still love ketchup on my oven fries – both russet & sweet. My poor grandpa is probably rolling over in his grave at just the mention of it!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
Homemade Ketchup Recipe – Gluten Free
This All Natural Homemade Ketchup Recipe is Gluten Free & full of flavor but without the processed ingredients! It takes only 5 Minutes to whip up – you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 3/4 Cups
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 (6 ounce) Can of Tomato Paste
- 3/4 – 1 Cup Water (thin to desired consistency)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar (Evaporated Cane Juice, Date Sugar, etc…)
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- Pinch of Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Ground Cloves
- Pinch of Ground All Spice
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (or to taste)
- Whisk all ingredients together in sauce pan until mixed well and smooth.
- Add extra water 1 Tablespoon at a time if necessary until you have the desired consistency. We like our Ketchup a little thinner, and it thickens a small amount as it cools.
- Cook on Medium Heat until Ketchup is hot and bubbles begin to break at the surface. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow Ketchup to cool completely before placing in airtight container
- Store in airtight container for 1-2 months in Fridge.
Pinch = Approx. 1/16 – 1/8 Teaspoon (My pinches sometimes vary, so start off with a small pinch and add more if you think it needs it)
- Serving Size: 1 Teaspoon
- Calories: 19 Calories
Add all of your ingredients into a medium saucepan & whisk together over Medium heat.