I’m always amazed at the list of things my Vitamix can do. We all know it makes the best smoothies & frozen desserts.. Some of you may even know that it can make hot soup. But, not many people know that you can make your own Flours, Powdered Sugars, Flax Meal, Ground Coffee & Nut Butters, all with a Vitamix!
In this Video, I demonstrate How To Make Your Own Flax Meal in the Vitamix, in less than 60 seconds from Whole Flax Seeds.
Because of its high oil content, flax meal can go rancid quickly… especially if it’s not stored correctly. Rarely do stores sell flax meal that is actually ‘fresh’. Not only can it go bad, but you might loose out on all of the best nutrients and health benefits from the flax. The best solution for this is to make your own! What’s even better, is that flax seeds are cheap and it only takes about 30 seconds in your VitaMix to turn Flax Seeds into Flax Meal or Flax Flour!
Flax meal is so delicious and has a nutty flavor that works in many recipes. It can even be use as a substitute for oil in many baked goods… like my Banana Monkey Muffins. You can also sprinkle it on Oatmeal, Cereal, in Smoothies & More!
If you don’t already have a Vitamix, I strongly encourage you to check out what this machine is capable of!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
How to Make your own Flax Meal in the VitaMix!
Your Vitamix can do much more than make smoothies… It can also make Flax Meal or Flour out of Whole Flax Seeds. Here’s How to Make Your Own Flax Meal in the Vitamix with Video Tutorial.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 1 Cup
- Category: Baked Goods
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1/2 Cup Flax Seeds (any colored flax seeds will work)
- If your Flax Seeds haven’t been in the Fridge or Freezer, you may consider placing them into the Freezer for 15-30 minutes before blending them to avoid overheating the oils.
- Place the Flax Seeds into the VitaMix
- Give the seeds a quick blend Starting at Variable Speed 1, Working your way quickly to Variable Sped 10, and on to High.
- After you start to see the Flax Seeds crush into meal, stop the VitaMix and give the Flax a quick stir with the blunt edge of a knife or spatula. This will make sure that everything is blended evenly.
- Repeat the blending steps again, but very quickly and for just a few seconds. You do not want to over process the Flax.
- Store any unused Flax Meal in an airtight container in the Fridge or Freezer.
Flax can go rancid very quickly – especially once they have been ground. I highly recommend that you store Flax in the Fridge or Freezer to extend it’s shelf life.
- Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- Calories: 55