I have 3 boys… which means not even 5 minutes after breakfast, they are pre-programed to start asking “Mommy, can we have a snack?” I swear you could feed them an entire cow and they’d be planning their next meal before the last bite is swallowed! I love the sweet simplicity of boys – Give them food to eat & some dirt to play with, and they’re good! =)
Needless to say, I gotta keep snacks on hand all of the time… especially snacks that are portable when we’re on the go!
Most Fruit Roll-Ups sold in stores are loaded with Corn Syrup or Sugar, Artificial Flavors, Artificial Food Coloring, and absolutely no fresh fruit whatsoever! Even the more natural Fruit Leather is expensive and made with ‘dead’ fruit (meaning it’s probably been boiled before dehydration), so the nutrients are all but gone… not to mention they’re expensive!
Although the variations are endless, here’s my base recipe for Raw & Natural Fruit Roll-ups… Feel free to create your own flavor masterpiece!
If you’re looking for an even easier & less expensive option, try my Quick & Easy Natural Fruit Roll Up Recipe tip using just applesauce – although you miss out on the full nutritional benefits, it’s a healthier & cheap alternative to the other stuff!
My ‘How To Make Fruit Roll Ups’ Video Tutorial:
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
Raw & Natural Fruit Roll-Ups Recipe
This All Natural Fruit Roll Ups Recipe is Easy & Fun to Make… And Still Delicious without all the Sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 to 8 hours
- Total Time: 28 minute
- Yield: 8 Trays
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 6 Pears (core removed)
- 4 Apples (core removed) – you can also use Applesauce
- 1 lime – Peeled (or the juice from one lime) – This will help preserve the color and the fruit.
- Handful of Spinach (washed)
- Handful of Grapes
- Carrots (washed & peeled)
- Strawberries (washed & de-stemmed)
- 1/2 Banana (peeled – but, don’t over do the banana or the fruit roll-ups won’t dehydrate well and can end up sticky)
- Liquid or Powdered Stevia Extract for Additional Sweetness (use sparingly)
- In your VitaMix, combine fruits & veggies until pureed completely. Be sure to use Lime or Lemon to preserve the color and fruit during the dehydrating process. Citrus also adds naturally adds pectin to help bind the fruit.
- Pour fruit mixture onto dehydrator trays lined with ParaFlexx Non-Stick Reusable Liners, parchment paper, or plastic wrap.
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 8-12 hours until entire Fruit Roll Up is dry, but not over dry or hard.
- Serve immediately or store rolled in wax paper, parchment, or plastic wrap in sealed glass container, or ziplock bag… For long term storage, use a food sealer or store in Fridge.
- If stored in container, Use within 7-10 days. Or if refrigerated, use within one month.
This recipe makes approximately 8 Large Circles (or 8 full dehydrator tray sized), but feel free to scale it in half if you don’t need so much. I cut each large circle in half or quarters before giving them to the kids… its just easier to make large ones instead of multiple small sizes for dehydration & storage.
If you don’t have a Dehydrator, you can use your Oven. Set the oven at the lowest temperature (mine is 170 degrees). Line Cookie Sheets with parchment paper & spread mixture evenly with a spatula. Dry in oven for 2-4 hours depending on your oven. Do not over dry or the Roll-up can become brittle.
- Citrus Fruits (other than Lemon or Lime for preservation)
- Broccoli or very Fibrous Veggies
- Serving Size: 1 Strip
- Calories: 30
If you don’t already have a VitaMix or Excalibur Dehydrator, I strongly encourage you to check out what these machines are capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. For free shipping, be sure to use: Coupon Code: 06-004166