I’d be a rich woman if I had a $1 for every time I answered this question! So instead of repeating myself over and over, I decided it was long overdue to dedicate a post to this topic. =)
I have had the privilege of seeing both the Blendtec & VitaMix in action and also had to choose between the two when I purchased my VitaMix. There’s no doubt about it that the Blendtec is a slick looking machine, with a smaller profile. The recent ads market it as more high tech, with more versatility than the VitaMix. However, as someone who has used my VitaMix (on average) 3 times a day for the past 7+ years, I can give my honest top 5 reasons for choosing a VitaMix over the Blendtec (although the Blendtec takes a close 2nd!):
- Better, more efficient blades. The VitaMix 4 pronged blades are designed to chop/crush/blend more efficiently. As a result, the VitaMix produces a far smoother blend and consistent end results. I’m still on my original blades and it doesn’t miss a beat! (the amusing & popular ‘Will It Blend’ campaign that Blendtec runs can be very deceiving and have been exposed as such – plus, who is really going to blend their iPhone anytime soon?).
- Better, longer warranty (7 years vs 3 years) and the customer service is outstanding! The VitaMix is all US based and has been around a lot longer – my grandparents had one!. I’ve had to send my VitaMix in for maintenance once, and even though I’m in Hawaii, they send me pre-paid FedEx shipping labels and fixed it in 2 days! Update: I’ve been told that the Blendtec may also offer a 7 year warranty when purchased direct, but I couldn’t verify that on their website.
- I love that I can manually control the speed of the VitaMix – You have full control over the variable speeds on a VitaMix without having to press buttons to adjust it – the knobs provide a smoother transition between speeds in my opinion without skipping a beat. I have a degree in computers, so the fancy Blendtec technology intrigues me – but I also know that when you mix a vibrating machine with computer chips there’s a greater chance of the technology failing.
- Superior engineering – VitaMix has an overload protection built in… in the event that you should overheat or mis-use the machine, it will automatically stop to prevent damage to the machine. I’ve been fairly abusive to my VitaMix and I’ve only overloaded it once. Once I shifted the ingredients around, it turned right back on without me harming the motor.
- Ability to use the included ‘Tamper’… the VitaMix allows you to use a tamper in the event your smoothie, juice needs some help moving around. The Blendtec has to be stopped and started in between stirs, otherwise it doesn’t blend evenly – Plus if you stick anything into the blades, it could eat your favorite spoon. The VitaMix Tamper is the icing on the cake for me… and ultimately becomes a major advantage over the Blendtec.
I should note that I do not have anything against the Blendtec – I know many people who own one and ultimately, it takes 2nd place in my book. This is just my honest comparison that will hopefully help you make a decision if you are having a hard time deciding between the two. Both are a big investment in your attempt at a healthier lifestyle. If there is something else I can answer for you, please don’t hesitate to ask! =)
** Just to clarify… VitaMix does not pay me to endorse their products, I just really love it that much! But, if someone happens to buy one from the link on my website or use the coupon code, I get a small referral fee, which usually is just enough to help keep my website up. Thanks! =) **