This Homemade Frozen Burrito Recipe can be made Traditionally or is Easily Adapted for your Special Diet. It’s a perfect meal on the go or anytime!
- 2 cups Brown Rice (I use sprouted rice, but any variety will do – just not instant)
- 2 cups Water (if using a rice cooker, otherwise follow directions for stove-top preparation)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 Cups Salsa (pureed if desired)
- 1 Can Black Olives (minced & reserve 1/2 the brine/liquid from the can)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt (season to taste – be careful not to oversalt)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (I use Daiya Cheese for Vegan/Dairy Free)
- 2 cans Whole Black Beans – Drained & Rinsed (16 oz. Cans)
- 2 cans Whole Pinto Beans – Drained & Rinsed (16 oz. Cans)
- 2 cans Refried Black Beans – (16 oz. Cans)
- 2 cans Refried Pinto Beans – (16 oz. Cans)
- 36 Large Flour Tortillas (I use Rice Flour Tortillas for Gluten Free)
OTHER INGREDIENT IDEAS:
- Shredded Chicken, Ground Beef, Crumbled Tofu
- Corn or Other Veggies (chopped small)
- Sour Cream
- Grilled Onions
- Add Rice & Water to Rice Cooker or Instant Pot – Turn On and let cook until done.
- While Rice is Cooking: In Large Bowl, combine Olive Oil, Salsa, Olives, Olive Juice, Salt, and Cheese then Set-Aside.
- In Extra Large Bowl, combine all 8 Cans of Refried and Whole Beans – Mix Well, then Set-Aside. Be sure to rinse the Whole Black and Pinto Beans before adding.
- When Rice is Ready: Immediately add the hot rice to Large Bowl with the Salsa, Olive & Cheese Mixture. Mix well – You will notice the mixture becoming a cheesy/gooey mix due to the heat of the rice.
- Add Cheese mixture from Large Bowl into the Extra Large Bean Bowl – Mix Well.
- Stuffing the Tortillas: Lay down approx. 12″ square piece of plastic wrap, and place tortilla on it. Scoop approx. 3 Tablespoons of Burrito Mixture into the center of a Tortilla and roll into a burrito (don’t over-stuff the tortilla). Roll the Burrito up in the plastic wrap and fold ends over. Repeat until all Burritos have been made.
- Freezing: Wrap Burritos individually into plastic wrap. Take 10 wrapped Burritos and wrap together again with plastic wrap for easy storage and extra protection from freezer burn. Freeze for up to 2-3 Months.
- Re-Heating: Remove Burrito from plastic wrap and roll into parchment or waxed paper. Microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until completely heated and serve!
This is a Bulk Recipe & will make approximately 36 Burritos. Feel free to scale it up or down depending on your needs & available freezer space.
Other Wrap Options: If you don’t care to use tortillas, feel free to freeze the bean mixture in portions and serve rolled in a rice wrap, lettuce wrap or collard greens.
- Serving Size: 1 Burrito
- Calories: 290