The BEST Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookie Recipe that’s also Vegan! You can make these into the cutest Gingerbread Man Shapes & Decorate with Sugar Icing. All Natural – EASY & Delicious!
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter – I use Melt or Earth Balance (regular butter also works if you don’t need it to be vegan)
- 3/4 Cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Applesauce (or 1 egg)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 2/3 Cups Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (or 1/2 Teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)
- Extra Tapioca, Potato or Corn Starch for Rolling Out Dough
BASIC SUGAR ICING INGREDIENTS:
- In a bowl of stand mixer, cream the Vegan Butter and Brown Sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the Molasses, Applesauce and Water until smooth.
- In small bowl, whisk together Gluten Free Flour, Ginger, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt & Pumpkin Pie Spice. Add to creamed mixture and mix well – stopping to scrape sides if necessary.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 min. This makes it easier to handle when rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 350° & Line Cookie Sheets with Parchment Paper or Silpat Liner
- Use Tapioca Starch (or other starch of choice) to lightly dust surface & rolling pin. Take about 1/4 of dough from fridge and roll out into a 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness. Cut out cookies with a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place at least 1″ apart on cookie sheets.
- Use your scraps & roll-out with more dough to make as many cookies as possible.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely, then decorate with icing as desired.
SUGAR ICICNG INSTRUCTIONS:
- For a basic sugar icing, combine Powdered Sugar with Vanilla & 1/4 tsp. Milk Alternative and mix well. Add in 1/4 tsp additional liquid at a time until the desired consistency is reached. You don’t want it to be too runny or too stiff, just thick enough to pipe out so it will keep its shape as it dries. If you don’t have a decorating/piping kit, you can use a squeeze bottle. Allow Icing to dry completely before storing.
You can make these into standard round gingerbread cookies too!
Storage: Store in airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days or longer if refrigerated or frozen.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 90