This Gluten Free Hot Dog Bun Recipe is also Dairy Free & Optionally Egg Free! It features the USA Hot Dog Bun Pan and is a perfect fit for your Hot Dog! Makes 1 Loaf = 9 Buns.
- 1 1/2 Cup Warm Water or Milk (or Milk Alternative)
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dry Active Yeast (be sure your yeast is fresh and alive.)
- 3 Cups of Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1/4 teaspoons Xanthan Gum (in addition to whats already in the GF Flour Mix)
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Large Eggs (see options for egg free below)
EGG FREE VERSION:
- We almost always make the egg free version and it comes out beautifully with these modifications. See the special instruction below for preparing the mixture differently.
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Water added to Yeast Mix
- 1 Tablespoons of Dry Ener-G Egg Replacer Whisked into Dry Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (instead of 1 Tablespoon)
STANDARD PREPARATION WITH EGGS:
- In a measuring cup, measure & warm water to just above body temperature – should be warm to the touch (but not hot or cold). Stir in Honey and add Yeast last. Set-aside & let proof for approx. 10 minutes.
- Combine Dry Mix ingredients in small bowl.
- Combine Wet Mix ingredients in bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix just for a few seconds.
- Add in the proofed Yeast Mix and mix again for just a few seconds.
- Add the Dry Mix and beat on medium-high for approx. 3 minutes. Dough will be wet (think thick cake batter)!
- If you want, you can spray your USA Hot Dog Bun Pan with non-stick coating, but this is not necessary.
- Using a spatula, scrape the bun mixture into your prepared USA Hot Dog Bun Pan and set on top of your stove to proof while the oven is preheating. Be sure to smooth out the loaf with spatula or wet fingers before proofing as the loaf will not smooth out itself.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- It is important not to over-proof the buns – just let them rise approximately 20-30 minutes depending on your room temperature.
- Bake for approx. 25-45 minutes. If the crust is darkening too quickly, you can cover it with foil (tent open ended) and return to baking until done. (Every Oven is different, but I usually cook mine until I get an internal temperature of 220 degrees on my digital thermometer).
- Remove Hot Dog Bun Pan from oven and let cool for 3 minutes before turning out onto your cooling rack. Allow to cool completely (at least 30-45 minutes) before attempting to cut into buns/slices.
- Follow the standard preparation directions above with these modifications to the ingredients & order in which the ingredients are mixed together.
- Proof Yeast right in the Stand Mixer Bowl with Extra 2 Tablespoons Water (no need for a separate bowl/cup)
- Add Dry Mix to Mixing Bowl (with 1 Tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer Whisked In)
- Add Olive Oil & run Mixer until all ingredients are wet.
- Add extra Apple Cider Vinegar & Mix on Medium High for Approximately 3 Minutes.
- Note that the Egg Free Bread will shrink around the edges as it bakes – that’s ok, they still turn out great!
- Store any leftovers in a airtight bag on your counter for up to 2-3 days. Refrigerate or Freeze as needed, but be aware that the bread will dry out quickly in the Fridge. If need be, wrap leftover bread in towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm/soften.
- Serving Size: 1 Bun
- Calories: 120