This Gluten Free & Vegan Pita Bread Recipe is so full of flavor & will make you forget it’s Gluten Free.
- 1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Natural Sugar or Honey
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Dry Active Yeast
- 3 Cups Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
Mix In Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil for Mix In + 1 Tablespoon for Proofing Bowl
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
Oil Basting Mix – Optional
- 2 Tablespoons Olive
- 1 Clove of Garlic – Crushed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to taste
Starch for Rolling
- Approx. 1/4 Cup Tapioca or Corn Starch For Dusting & Rolling Out Bread
- Stir together Warm Water & Honey in the bowl of your Stand Mixer. Add in the Dry Active Yeast and allow to proof for approx. 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In Medium Bowl, whisk together Gluten Free Flour Mix, Baking Powder & Salt.
- After yeast has proofed, add your Dry Ingredients along with the Olive Oil & Apple Cider Vinegar to the Stand Mixer bowl.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix the dough on a medium-high speed for approximately 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl and form dough into a ball. Then drizzle the extra Olive Oil over the dough ball so that it is well coated.
- Set dough aside to proof (I cover mine with a kitchen towel) for approximately 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- BAKING STONE OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat your oven and stone to 450 degrees.
- CAST IRON PAN STOVE TOP INSTRUCTION: Preheat your cast iron pan on a medium heat until it’s evenly hot and reduce heat as necessary to maintain the temp. You may need a little bit of oil on the cast iron pan if it’s not well seasoned or dry.
- Line your cutting board with parchment paper and dust generously with Tapioca or Corn Starch to prevent sticking. Make sure your rolling pin is ready to go.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces (I just eyeball this as I go).
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten with your hands into a thick disk before rolling out. With the residual oil left in the bowl, the dough shouldn’t stick to your hands, but use dust your hands if necessary.
- Roll out the dough ball into a circle that is approx. 1/4″ thick. Don’t roll it too thin.
- Place the flattened dough onto your prepared hot baking stone or pan and allow to cook for 2-5 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. When cooking on the stovetop in a pan, you may need to flip the bread over after a minute or two so that both sides cook thoroughly. The bread may bubble and puff up as it cooks – that’s perfect!
- Remove bread from oven/pan and place onto a plate and cover with a kitchen towel – this step is essential to keeping the bread moist before serving.
- Repeat the process until all pieces are cooked. Once you get a rhythm down, you can be preparing the next piece as the others are cooking. I rotate 2 or 3 on my Baking Stone at a time and it’s all done in less then 15 minutes.
Oil Basting Instructions
- In a small fry pan, add Olive Oil, Crushed Garlic & Seasonings and sauté until garlic is soft. (You can use just Olive Oil if you want)
- Using a basting brush, baste the finished bread (top & bottom) generously with the seasoned Oil and cover with towel until serving. This step not only adds amazing flavor, but helps the bread to stay soft – even after refrigerating or freezing and re-heating later.
- Store any unused bread in the fridge for 2-3 day – or freeze for up to one month. To reheat, cover the bread with a towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 160