This Gluten Free & Vegan Churro Recipe (no eggs or dairy) is a fun & delicious recipe that kids of all ages will enjoy!
- 1 Quart Frying Oil (the Churros will only use about a 1/4 cup of Oil for the entire batch, so you can save almost all of the Oil for use later.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Butter Alternative (I used Melt)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Aquafaba – the Liquid Drained from a Can of Garbanzo Beans (or 2 Eggs)
- 1 Cup Erika’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- While preparing the other ingredients, preheat your Frying Oil in a deep pot (cast iron is best) to 375 degrees F. It is crucial to the recipe that you maintain 375 degrees throughout the frying process. This may mean waiting a couple of minutes in between batches to make sure the oil returns to the correct frying temp. Otherwise your Churros will be soggy.
- In a medium pot, add Water, Butter, Brown Sugar, Vanilla & Salt – Whisk to combine & Bring to just boiling over Medium Heat. Remove from heat as soon as bubble begin breaking the surface.
- Add Flour to Boiling Mixture & stir well with Spatula until mixture starts to smooth out.
- Add Aquafaba to Mixture until well incorporated & Churro Batter is smooth (no lumps). If you’re using regular eggs, wait 10 minutes before adding the eggs to the mixture – otherwise your eggs will cook before they mix.
- While Churro Batter is cooling & Oil is Preheating, prepare your Sugar Coating by combining Sugar & Cinnamon in a plate or bowl. Then set-aside for later.
- Scoop Churro Batter into your Piping Bag fitted with a large 1B Star Tip.
- When Oil has fully preheated to 375 degrees, begin piping 6″ Churro strips directly into the oil. Use the blunt end of a knife to cut the batter from the tip. Only fry 4-5 Churros at one time.
- Allow Churros to fry 1 minute before gently flipping. If the Churros stick to each other, that’s ok, let them be & you can separate them after frying. Continue to fry for a combined total of 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove Churros from oil & place on paper-towel lined cooling rack to drain & cool.
- While Churros are still warm, toss them into the Sugar Cinnamon Mixture & coat them well.
- Churros are best served warm right away.
Churros are traditionally served with a Chocolate Dipping Sauce – I just melted some Chocolate Chips with a little bit of Coconut Oil & a dash of Cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1 Churro
- Calories: 175