The easiest Gluten Free, Vegan Pie Crust Recipe that’s both light & flakey… and tastes delicious! Can easily be doubled to make a top & bottom crust for homemade pies.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together Dry Ingredients. You can also use a pastry cutter to hand blend all ingredients together.
- Add in the Cold Butter and Palm Shortening. Using the whisk attachment, mix until well combined – mixture will be dry & crumbly.
- Add in Cold Water and Apple Cider Vinegar. On Medium Speed, blend crust mixture until the dough comes together. If your mixture still seems dry or doesn’t stick together when pressed, then add more water 1 Tablespoon at a time. Mixture should hold together when pressed between your fingers, but not be sticky.
- Lightly dust a sheet of wax or parchment paper with a little extra flour or tapioca starch. Form the dough into a round disk with your hands. Place a second piece of parchment over the top and roll the dough out until it matches your pan size.
- Spray your pie dish with non-stick spray or a little extra palm shortening.
- Remove the top layer of wax paper & turn your pie pan upside down on the top of the crust. Carefully slide your hand under the wax paper and gently flip over the crust into the pie pan. Remove the parchment paper carefully as you press the dough into the bottom of the pan.
- Don’t worry if it cracks, just continue to gently press it together with your fingers. Crimp or Scallop the edges.
- Prick bottom of crust with a fork & place pie crust in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Follow the instructions on your pie recipe for baking temperatures & time.
If you need to pre-bake the crust for chilled pies (such as a Chocolate Pudding Pie), Bake the Pie Crust at 375 for approx. 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Use pie weights or beans to prevent shrinkage if need be.