Going Gluten Free was hard enough, so when we found out a couple of years ago that one of my sons was (also) allergic to eggs, I cried… and after a good cry, I sucked it up, strapped on my apron, and slowly began re-working almost all of our favorite recipes to be both Gluten Free AND Vegan.
Since one of our family’s favorite meals is Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie, I started with a new Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust Recipe that uses my Erika’s Gluten Free Flour Blend… Plus, it actually tastes good! It’s light, flakey & is perfect for sweet or savory dishes. In time, I’ve actually found that I hardly miss baking with eggs… in fact, I don’t even buy them anymore!
If you’re looking for my original Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe, it can be found here. It has been one of the most popular recipes I’ve ever posted – so if you aren’t a vegan or allergic to eggs, feel free to use that recipe instead!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
Gluten Free, Vegan Pie Crust Recipe
The easiest Gluten Free, Vegan Pie Crust Recipe that’s both light & flakey… and tastes delicious! Can easily be doubled to make a top & bottom crust for homemade pies.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 Pie Crust
- Category: Baked Goods
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together Dry Ingredients. You can also use a pastry cutter to hand blend all ingredients together.
- Add in the Cold Butter and Palm Shortening. Using the whisk attachment, mix until well combined – mixture will be dry & crumbly.
- Add in Cold Water and Apple Cider Vinegar. On Medium Speed, blend crust mixture until the dough comes together. If your mixture still seems dry or doesn’t stick together when pressed, then add more water 1 Tablespoon at a time. Mixture should hold together when pressed between your fingers, but not be sticky.
- Lightly dust a sheet of wax or parchment paper with a little extra flour or tapioca starch. Form the dough into a round disk with your hands. Place a second piece of parchment over the top and roll the dough out until it matches your pan size.
- Spray your pie dish with non-stick spray or a little extra palm shortening.
- Remove the top layer of wax paper & turn your pie pan upside down on the top of the crust. Carefully slide your hand under the wax paper and gently flip over the crust into the pie pan. Remove the parchment paper carefully as you press the dough into the bottom of the pan.
- Don’t worry if it cracks, just continue to gently press it together with your fingers. Crimp or Scallop the edges.
- Prick bottom of crust with a fork & place pie crust in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Follow the instructions on your pie recipe for baking temperatures & time.
If you need to pre-bake the crust for chilled pies (such as a Chocolate Pudding Pie), Bake the Pie Crust at 375 for approx. 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Use pie weights or beans to prevent shrinkage if need be.
Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust – Perfect for one of my Sugar Free Apple Pies!
Crust works perfectly to make shapes & decorate your Pies!
Light & Flakey Gluten Free & Vegan Pie Crust is possible!
You can even use Date Palm Sugar to make it refined sugar free like I did below.