The BEST Soft Gluten Free Vegan Sandwich Bread Recipe – Featuring Aquafaba (Garbanzo Bean Liquid) Whip as an Egg Substitution.
- 1½ Cups Warm Water
- 3 Tablespoons Honey (or any natural sugar for those following a Vegan diet)
- 2½ Teaspoons Dry Active Yeast (be sure your yeast is fresh and alive)
CHICKPEA/GARBANZO BRINE WHIP:
- ¼ Cup Aquafaba – Brine/Liquid drained from canned Garbanzo Beans (aka Chickpeas) – Use up those Garbanzo Beans in Homemade Hummus, Roasted Chickpeas or 3 Bean Salad!
- ½ Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 3 Cups of Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix
- Scant ½ Teaspoons Xanthan Gum (in addition to what’s already in the GF Flour Mix)
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
PREPARING YEAST MIX:
- In a measuring cup, measure out warm water (should be warm to the touch, not hot or cold). Stir in Honey and add Yeast last. Set-aside & let proof for approx. 10 minutes.
PREPARING CHICKPEA/GARBANZO BRINE WHIP:
- While Yeast is proofing, pour the Aquafaba (Garbanzo Bean Liquid) along with the Cream of Tartar into the clean & dry bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form. On my mixer, soft peaks happen around 2-3 minutes & stiff peaks around 4-5 minutes. Once you have stiff peaks, use a spatula to scoop out the fluff and set-aside.
PREPARING DRY MIX:
- While the Aquafaba is Whisking, Combine all of the Dry Mix ingredients together in small bowl.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Add in the proofed Yeast Mix to the stand mixer bowl.
- Add Dry Mix ingredients in mixer bowl with yeast. Using the paddle attachment, begin to slowly mix while adding in the Oil, then Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Mix well on Medium-High for 2-3 minutes until dough is smooth, but wet & sticky.
- Stop mixer and add in Garbanzo Bean Fluff
- Mix gently on low speed until dough is well combined (approx 30 seconds or less)… Do not over beat. Mixture will be thick yet somewhat runny (think cake batter).
- Spray or Grease your 9×5 Loaf Pan.
RISE & BAKE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Using a spatula, scrape the bread mixture into your prepared loaf pan and Cover with plastic wrap. Set pan on top of your warm stove to proof while the oven is preheating.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is important not to over-proof the bread – just let it rise approx. 20-30 minutes (depending on your room temperature). Don’t let it rise above your loaf pan… Gluten free breads do not maintain their structure and will flow over the pan or collapse if left to over-rise or over-filled.
- Bake for approx. 50-60 minutes. If the crust is darkening too quickly, you can cover it with foil (tent open ended) and return to baking until done. (If it helps, I usually cook mine until I get an internal temperature of 210 – 220 degrees on my digital thermometer).
- Loaf may initially rise much larger than the pan, and shrink back a bit… that’s ok, just be sure it is completely cooked before removing from the oven.
- Remove loaf pan from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes before turning out onto your cooling rack. (I always cool my loaves on their sides to keep the steam/moisture from making the bottom dense). Allow to cool completely before attempting to cut into slices.
- Loaf keeps best for 1-2 days out on counter in airtight container or bag, but I’ve found that the loaf stays moist even when placed in the fridge.
- Without eggs, there will be a little bit of shrinkage – this is typical with gluten free baked goods. You will notice with this recipe that the loaf will rise in the oven during the first 20 minutes, then gradually come back down to the same size as when you put it in after proofing – this is normal, and won’t affect your loaf.
- The key to remember with Gluten Free baking is NOT to overproof OR NOT to leave the loaf in the pan more than a minute or two after pulling it out of the oven – both of these can result in the loaf sinking and becoming dense at the bottom.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 240mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0