This EASY Gluten Free Sloppy Joe Recipe is made with All Natural Ingredients & can easily be adapted for Vegan diets. Can also be prepared in bulk for quick freezer meals!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onion – Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Carrots – Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Celery – Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- 1 1/4 Pounds Ground Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork (see Vegan suggestions below)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
WET MIX INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Cups Tomato Sauce (Approx. one 15 ounce can)
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup (Here’ my Homemade Ketchup Recipe)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Mustard (Here’s my Homemade Mustard Recipe)
- Pinch of Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 2 Teaspoons Tapioca Starch or Cornstarch – for thickening.
- Place all of the Veggie Saute Ingredients in pan with Oil and saute over Medium Heat until softened.
- While vegetables are sauteing, begin browning Ground Beef in a larger pot/pan and season with Salt.
- In a mixing bowl (I do this in my Vitamix), combine all of the Wet Mix Ingredients.
- Once veggies are done & meat is browned, combine all ingredients – including the wet ingredients – into the larger pot/pan with the meat.
- Continue to cook & stir until liquid begins to reduce.
- Once the mixture is boiling, you can then add the additional Starch if necessary to thicken it further.
- Serve hot over these Gluten Free, Vegan Crunch Rolls.
In place of the meat, you may use any of the following Vegan substitutions:
- Portabella Mushrooms – Wash & Dice, then toss in with the mixture once it comes to a boil.
- Tofu – Drain, Crumble, then toss in with the mixture before bringing to a boil.
- Additional Veggies – Choose your favorite veggies (cauliflower, bell peppers, potatoes, etc…), Wash & Dice, then toss in with the mixture before bringing to a boil. Be sure to check any root vegetables for doneness before removing from heat.
- Meat Substitutes – Such as Beyond Beef or Neat (beware, Neat contains Nuts)
This recipe can be multiplied prepared this recipe in bulk and frozen for any easy meal another night! Just let it defrost in the fridge or warm it up on the stove/microwave & serve.