I’ve caught my kids sneaking little bites of play-dough every now and then, and it got me wondering ‘what the heck is in Playdoh anyway?’ The container says ‘non-toxic’, but it smells weird, and if you’re a conspiracy theorist mom like me, you’re not entirely convinced it’s safe.
Plus, if you haven’t noticed, Playdoh isn’t cheap… I was tired of buying container after container every time ours dried up. Here’s a cheap and easy Homemade Playdough Recipe that’s Non-Toxic and costs much less to make. Now if I could just find a way to keep my boys from mixing all those pretty colors into one big ‘poo-colored’ ball!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
This Homemade Playdough Recipe is made with All Natural Ingredients. It’s Easy, Safe & Fun for Kids of all ages!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar
- 2 Tablespoons Oil (Canola, Vegetable, Refined Coconut)
- 2 Cups Water
Add Last Ingredients:
- 40 drops Food Coloring (10 drops of each color)
- Combine all ingredients (except food coloring) into a non-stick sauce pan and mix well.
- Heat on Medium until mixture thickens and begins to stick to sides of pan. Be sure to continuously stir the mixture as it cooks.
- Continue stirring until it is no longer sticky and forms a firm ball in the center of the pan. (approximately 2-3 minute from start to finish)
- Remove mixture from heat and let cool until it is just warm to the touch.
- Knead and divide into 4 balls. Push your finger into the center of the ball to make a well for the food coloring.
- Add 10 drops of food coloring to each ball in order to make the four colors (or combinations of whatever colors you want).
- Knead well and let cool before giving to child to play.
- Store in a Ziplock bag for up to 2 weeks (keeps much longer in the refrigerator).
- If mixture is too dry, add a little oil and/or water… OR, if mixture is too wet, add a little flour – until the consistency is ‘playdough-like’
- To preserve you or your child’s creations, you can bake it for 1/2 to 1 hour at 300 degrees until thoroughly dry. If you have a dehydrator, you can also follow the manufacturers instructions to dry your pieces.
- Serving Size: 1 Bite
- Calories: 10