So I looked up the word ‘Germaphobe‘ on the Urban Dictionary online… and I found my name there! Here’s what it said:
“Any person (namely Erika) who is obsessed with cleanliness and defeating bacteria. These individuals will turn on faucets with their elbows and hand sanitize on an hourly basis.”
Ok, so I don’t actually use hand sanitizer on an hourly basis, but I practically bathe myself in it after using a public restroom!
But what’s even scarier to me than germs, is the chemical ingredients found in commercial Hand Sanitizers that leave my hands dry and fingers peeling – Yikes! And to think we’ve all put that stuff on our children’s hands!
Good news! It’s ridiculously easy to make your own Homemade All Natural Hand Sanitizer that actually Kills Germs & Moisturizes your hands! Even better, you can whip this up in 5 seconds in your VitaMix or blender!
Here’s my recipe – feel free to tweak it to your liking.
If you don’t already have a VitaMix, I strongly encourage you to check out what this machine is capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. For free shipping, be sure to use: Coupon Code: 06-004166
If you have the Living Cookbook software, you can import the free recipe file by cutting and pasting it right into your program.
All Natural Hand Sanitizer Recipe
I’ve provided a link to the ingredients, but most everything can be purchased less expensively at your local health food & drug store.
- 1 Cup Aloe Vera Gel (the all natural stuff or fresh cut from a plant, not the ‘after sun’ stuff you find in the store)
- 2 Teaspoons Vegetable Glycerin
- 3 Tablespoon Rubbing Alcohol (I use the 70% kind from any store, but you can also use the 91% too) You can also substitute the Alcohol for Witch Hazel if you’d like.
- 2-3 Squirts of your Favorite All Natural Lotion (I use an Organic Lavender Lotion) OR
- OR 10-15 drops of any Essential Oils with Anti-Bacterial properties (tea tree, lavender, lemon, rosemary, cinnamon, etc..) Be careful with the Essential Oils
Pour all of the ingredients into your VitaMix or Blender and blend on the Lowest Setting until everything is well mixed.
Preparation & Cooking Time: 2 Minutes
Yield: Approximately 8-10 fluid ounces
Storage: Store mixture in a pump or a squeeze cap container that’s airtight and store in a cool location out of direct sunlight… otherwise, you’re alcohol will burn off.
If you want to print out a pretty label like mine… I’ve got a free printable for you over here! Feel free to use it on your own bottle!