It’s always been a tradition on my side of the family to get together on Christmas Eve for sandwiches, cookies & hot chocolate. Not wanting any of my kiddos to miss out, I took my mom’s famous Instant Powdered Hot Chocolate Recipe & converted it to be Vegan. She used powdered milk, but I just omit that or use Powdered Coconut Milk instead – which makes it extra creamy & delicious!
For years, we’ve also used this recipe to make a quick and easy gift for teachers, friends & neighbors. We just put it out in a mason jar, print out an instructional gift tag & tie it up with some string… It comes out so cute!
Oh, and this recipe also works great for homemade Mochas! Just add a couple of scoops to your coffee & cream for a Cocoa kick!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
Gluten Free & Vegan Instant Powdered Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Cuisine: Vegan
This Gluten Free & Vegan Instant Powdered Hot Chocolate Recipe is Easy to make & Delicious! It’s perfect for whipping up quickly on those chilly nights, special holiday’s or giving as a gift!
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Vanilla Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt (optional)
- 1 Cup Powdered Coconut Milk or Regular Powdered Milk (optional – see note below)
- In medium bowl, whisk all ingredients until well incorporated & no lumps remain – If you have one, use a sifter to sift the Ingredients into a bowl.
- Store in airtight container to keep mixture dry until use.
Instructions To Prepare Hot Cocoa from Dry Mixture:
- Heat 1 Cup Milk or Milk Alternative until very hot – There’s no need to bring the liquid to a boil if you plan to drink it right away.
- Mix 4-5 Tablespoons (or to your taste) of the Hot Cocoa Mixture & stir until everything is completely dissolved.
- Be careful that you let the Hot Cocoa cool enough so that the temperature is safe & enjoyable for you or little ones to drink.
- Top Hot Cocoa with Mini Vegan Marshmallows (Our favorite is Dandies Brand)
- Top Hot Cocoa with Vegan Whipped Cream (Like SoDelicious Whipped Topping)
- Use 1 Drop of Food Grade Peppermint Essential Oil (I love Rocky Mountain Oils!) in Hot Cocoa for extra Holiday Flavor
This Hot Cocoa Recipe is perfect for gift giving… Package the dry cocoa mixture into small glass jars & label with instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 cup (prepared)
- Calories: 120
Happy to find this recipe. I don’t understand why it needs to be mixed with hot milk if we have powdered milk in the mix. I should only need hot water.
Right? Please explain.
This drink looks so tasty!! Can’t wait to try it for tomorrow’s breakfast! Thanks for sharing!