If you’ve haven’t tried a Drinking Vinegar or a Vinegar Shrub before, you may be thinking ‘Ewwww!’ But, before you stick your tongue out, let me tell you that they are SO delicious & good for you!
There’s a few different methods for preparing a traditional Shrub Syrup & endless ways to enjoy it. Depending on which method you chose, Shrubs (aka Drinking Vinegars) can take between 1-30 days to prepare & ferment. Once ready, you can add the syrup to sparkling water or even to alcohol for making cocktails.
The traditional preparation is great, but I don’t always have the time or want to wait for it. So instead of waiting, I came up with an Easy Instant Drinking Vinegar Recipe that tastes amazing & still has all of the health benefits. It’s also a great way to drink down that Apple Cider Vinegar you hear so much about… Even my kids LOVE it!
The Special Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
Instant Drinking Vinegar Recipe
Yield 1 Quart
This Instant Drinking Vinegar Recipe Tastes Amazing - It Uses Apple Cider Vinegar & is So Good for You! Whips up in just 2 Minutes & is Enjoyed by All Ages!
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar - With the Mother (meaning it is alive with all its beneficial bacteria & not heat processed). My favorite brand is Braggs.
- 3 Tablespoons Raw Honey (which has many health benefits) - Vegan Friends, feel free to use Maple Syrup or Natural Sweetener of choice.
- 2 1/2 - 3 Cups All Natural Fruit Juice or Nectar (fresh or bottled) - with NO sugar or artificial sweeteners added. My favorite is Apricot Nectar, Apple, and Raspberry. Add more or less depending on your taste.
- 1/2-1 Cup Water, Coconut Water, or Sparkling Water (unsweetened).
- 1 Thin Slice of Fresh Ginger (optional) - Peeled, Leave Whole or Crush
- In a quart sized Mason Jar, add all of the ingredients & mix/shake well until all of the Honey is dissolved.
- Store in the Fridge & Shake well before serving.
If using Sparkling/Carbonated Water, don't add it to the mixture until you're ready to drink. Instead, pour the Juice & Vinegar Mixture into your cup and then add the Sparkling/Carbonated Water. This way, your bubbles won't go flat.
If you really want an intense Ginger flavor, you can blend the Ginger into your drink with your Vitamix or Blender until smooth. Otherwise, just add the Ginger - it typically sinks to the bottom.
Don't be afraid to try new flavors & combinations... Some of our favorite drinks have been experiments gone right!
Cuisine Gluten Free
If you’re away from home & craving a Drinking Vinegar… Suja makes a variety (Peach & Ginger is my fav!) that can usually be found at Target or Whole Foods in the cold case. I also like the Braggs Vinegar Drinks, although they don’t seem to have much ACV in them.
If you’re looking for a more authentic or traditional way to prepare a classic Shrub or Drinking Vinegar, click here.
Did you come up with a blend you like best? Please share it in the comments, so everyone can try it out! =)