Whether you like them thick & soft, or thin & crunchy, this Gluten Free & Vegan Breadstick Recipe comes out just right! Perfect with Soup, Salad, Appetizers & Midnight Snacks! Why? Because sometimes you just need breadsticks.
My boys ate these for the first time the other day (they’re my best recipe testers), and were like “Mom, what are these baby loaves of bread for?!” I gave them some sauce for dipping, and after one bite they demanded to know why I waited so long to make them. Luckily, I made it up to them by making several test batches while perfecting the recipe.
This recipe is very similar to my Gluten Free & Vegan Bread Recipe with a couple of tweaks… I hope you enjoy them as much as my boys do. =)
Here are the tools & ingredients I used:
Whether you like them thick & soft, or thin & crunchy, this Gluten Free & Vegan Breadstick Recipe comes out just right! Perfect with Soup, Salad, Appetizers & Midnight Snacks!
- 1¾ Cups Milk Alternative – Warm, but not hot.
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar or Honey
- 2¼ Teaspoon Dry Active Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Milk or Water* (add this ONLY if you are opting to use the Psyllium Husk Powder – omit it otherwise)
- 2½ Cups Erika’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
- ½ Cup Cornstarch or Tapioca Starch
- 1 Tablespoon Ener-g Egg Replacer
- 1 Tablespoon Psyllium Husk Powder* (this is optional, but will help the breadsticks to retain their structure during the proofing/baking process)
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1½ Teaspoons Salt
ADD LAST INGREDIENTS:
- In bowl of stand mixer, gently whisk Warm Milk, Honey & Yeast. Set-aside to proof (approx. 5-10 minutes)
- While Yeast Mix is Proofing, Whisk together your Dry Ingredients & measure out your Add Last Ingredients.
- Line two Cookie Sheets with Parchment or Silpat Mat.
- Prepare your Piping/Decorating Bag with your desired tip. I used Tip Size 1A to make Large, Soft Breadsticks & Tip Size 12 for the Small, Crunchy Breadsticks. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can always improvise with the tip of a Ziplock Bag trimmed off.
- Add Dry Ingredients to Proofed Yeast. Using the Paddle Attachment, mix on Low speed while adding the Oil & Apple Cider Vinegar. Continue mixing on Medium/High for approx. 2-3 minutes. The mixture will be thick & sticky (nothing like regular dough).
- Scoop dough into the Piping Bag & pipe dough onto lined cookies sheets. Be sure to leave 3/4 – 1″ Spacing between Large Breadsticks, and 1/2″ Spacing between Small Breadsticks.
- Very gently brush or spray (spraying is easiest) the Olive Oil on the dough & top with any desired toppings.
- Set Aside the Breadsticks in a warm spot to proof for approx. 12-18 minutes while oven is preheating. Don’t overproof these.
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once Breadsticks are done proofing, place them in the oven on the upper rack. Bake until the Breadsticks are done & lightly browned – approximately 15-25 minutes depending on the size & texture you want. Less time for the small, crunchy ones & a little more time for the large, soft ones. Avoid over-baking.
- Remove from oven and place Breadsticks on cooling rack. Serve Warm if desired.
Remember not to overproof your gluten free baked goods. They cannot maintain their structure & will collapse during/after the baking process.
- Serving Size: 1 Breadstick
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg