We were at the County Fair, and my kids who had never seen a Corn Dog before, curiously eyed their cousin devouring this mystery on a stick. They asked “What is that Mama!? Can we have one?!” I did my best to explain, but how do you describe a corn dog to someone who’s never had one? My sweet kiddos went on to eat the rest of their lunches we packed without a complaint… But, I could tell they were still dreaming of trying a Corn Dog for themselves.
Later that week, I surprised them with this Gluten Free & Vegan Corn Dog Recipe… You’d have thought I offered them the moon. They gobbled up every last crumb & begged me to make them again… Maybe next time the fair rolls in.
A ‘Vegan’ Corn Dog might sound like an oxymoron, but it’s the Corn Dog Batter that’s Gluten Free & Vegan (no eggs or dairy). Our family isn’t Vegan, but with Egg & Dairy Allergies, I try to make most of my recipes adaptable for special diets & allergies. Vegan friends… you can easily sub the real hotdog for a veggie dog & it will turn out fine.
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
This recipe is my Gluten Free & Vegan adaptation of this Original recipe from AllRecipes.comPrint
Gluten Free Corn Dog Recipe – Vegan / Egg Free
This Easy Gluten Free Corn Dog Recipe tastes just like the real thing! Plus, it’s Vegan – No Eggs & Dairy Free.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Corn Dogs
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 Package of 8 Hot Dogs (Vegan Dogs will work too)
- 1 Cup Erika’s Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1 Cup Corn Meal
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk Alternative + Extra for Thinning Batter if Needed
- 1/4 Cup Aquafaba – the Liquid Drained from a Can of Garbanzo Beans (or 1 Egg)
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch for Dusting Hot Dogs before dipping.
- 1 Quart of Frying Oil (I like Refined Coconut Oil, but any Palm Shortening or Vegetable Oil will work)
- 8 Wooden Skewers
- In a medium saucepan, boil Hot Dogs for 5-7 minutes until cooked. Don’t overcook them, or they will split open. Remove Hot Dogs and set-aside to cool.
- In small bowl, whisk together all Batter Ingredients and mix until well combined. Place bowl in Freezer to Chill while Oil is Pre-heating. Batter works best when very cold.
- In a deep pot (cast iron is best), bring your Frying Oil to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare Hot Dogs by: Patting them dry with a paper towel; Dusting them with Cornstarch; and Placing a Wooden Skewer though 3/4 of the Hot Dog.
- Remove Batter from Freezer and check consistency. If it’s too thick, whisk in a little extra milk – you want it thick, but just loose enough for dipping. Pour the batter into a tall, narrow drinking glass – This will make dipping & coating the Hot Dogs with batter very easy. Keep topping off as you dip.
- Dip the Hot Dogs one at a time. Immediately place in the hot frying oil to cook.
- Fry the Corn Dogs (2 or 3 at a time) for 3-5 minutes, carefully flipping them half way through to fry evenly on both sides.
- Carefully remove Corn Dogs from Fryer and place on a Paper Towel lined Cooling Rack to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with Homemade Ketchup & Mustard & Enjoy!
You can make Mini Corn Dogs, by cutting the Hot Dogs into 1/3 or 1/4 size! These are perfect for little hands or Appetizers.
- Serving Size: 1 Corn Dog
- Calories: 425