This traditional Gluten Free Butter Cookie Recipe has a special place in my heart because it was passed down to me by my Grandma. She made them with us every Christmas and we would decorate them to our hearts content. I love how something as simple as a cookie can be tied to so many wonderful memories.
Although my Grandma’s recipe wasn’t gluten free, I’ve posted the original recipe below, with my suggested modifications for making it Gluten Free and/or Vegan. Please feel free to swap out ingredients depending on your dietary needs.
The best thing about this recipe is how fun it is! It rolls out beautifully & can be used with cookie cutters to make every kind of shape. Plus, you can decorate them before & after baking for unlimited design possibilities. I hope these cookies bring you many wonderful memories with your own family! =)
Here are the Tools & Ingredients used in this Recipe:
- 2⅔ Cups Erika's Gluten Free Flour Mix (my grandma used regular all purpose flour in her original recipe)
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Butter or ¾ Cup Butter Alternative (such as Melt)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg or ¼ Cup Applesauce
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Scant ⅛ Teaspoons Natural Vegan Butter Flavor Concentrate (made without Diacetyl) - This is approximately 5-8 drops.
- Extra Tapioca Flour (aka Tapioca Starch) for Dusting & Rolling
- In a small bowl, whisk together Dry Ingredients & Set-Aside.
- In a medium bow (or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment ), Cream Butter using Beaters, then gradually add in Sugar until well mixed.
- Add Applesauce, Vanilla & Butter Flavor (if desired), and Beat well.
- Gradually Mix in Flour.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Roll and shape into cookies - using Tapioca Starch to dust surface as necessary.
- Decorate with baking candies if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Do not let cookies brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on cooling rack before icing/decorating.
- Store in airtight container.
A Little Note About Butter Flavoring: My greatest challenge was how to make a Butter Cookie Recipe butter free & still taste buttery! In my search for natural butter flavorings, I found that all of them are extracted chemically using Diacetyl (known to have serious health side effects)… All except this one by Nature’s Flavors. Its an Organic Butter Flavor Concentrate made Without Diacetyl that’s also Vegan, Gluten Free, Kosher & Certified Organic. It’s optional in the recipe, but a great alternative for a little bit more ‘butter’ flavor if you need it. This is not a paid or sponsored post for them, just wanted to pass on a great resource for Natural Flavors & Dye Free options. =)