Not all Rice Krispy Treats are created equal. Recently I was asked to buy a box of the ready made classic treats to share, but was shocked at the list of artificial ingredients in them! Plus, the cereal itself has Malt flavoring & is definitely not Gluten Free! Don’t even get me started on the Kraft Marshmallow ingredients!
You should know me well enough by now that I ended up making my own Rice Cereal Treats that were both Gluten Free & Vegan – with the best ingredients I could find. The best part is that they tasted amazing and were so easy to make!
This Gluten Free & Vegan Rice Crispy Treat Recipe can be prepared in less than 5 minutes. And just like the original recipe, you can decorate, shape, and add other fun ingredients to them. Just use your imagination!
The tools & ingredients used in this recipe are:
Gluten Free & Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 Squares 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
This EASY Gluten Free & Vegan Rice Crispy Treats Recipe can be ready to go in about 5 minutes! Plus, you can make them in fun shapes, sizes and flavors!
- 6 Cups Natural Rice Cereal
- 1 Bag (10 Ounces) of Dandies Vegan Vanilla Marshmallows (these are the BEST store bought natural marshmallows I’ve ever tasted)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Alternative – I use Melt, but you can also use Coconut Oil (reserve about 1/2 Tablespoon to grease your pan)
Optional Ingredients & Ideas:
- Chocolate Chips
- Nuts or Seeds
- Nut or Seed Butter
- Grease a Square Baking Dish or Quarter Sheet Pan with Butter Alternative
- In a medium bowl, measure out the Rice Cereal and set-aside while you prepare the Marshmallow Mixture (see directions for Microwave & Stovetop below).
- Once your Marshmallow Mixture is ready, pour over Rice Cereal & begin mixing gently with your spatula until all cereal is coated evenly. You can add any optional ingredients at this point – but be aware that chocolate chips or candies may melt while the temp is still hot.
- Pour the coated cereal into your prepared dish & use your spatula to to gently press mixture flat. You may want to grease your fingers or spatula to make this step less ‘sticky.’
- Let the mixture cool completely & ‘set-up’ so you can cut it easily. This step takes about 10 minutes, but can be sped up by placing it in the fridge for 3-5 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into square or a cookie cutter for fun shapes.
- Decorate if desired & Enjoy!
- In microwave safe bowl, melt Butter & Marshmallows for approximately 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on high. Stirring every 30 seconds with a spatula until Marshmallows are completely melted & appear ‘puffy’.
- In medium saucepan, melt Butter & Marshmallows over Medium Heat. Stir regularly with a spatula until Marshmallows are completely melted and appear ‘puffy’. Do not let the mixture burn.
Storage: Store in airtight container for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1 Treat
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
I am wondering if I can replace the marshmallow with honey instead? I will be using coconut oil instead of butter to make it dairy free.
Hi Amanda, I don’t think Honey will hold up the same way, but the Coconut Oil should work just fine in place of the Butter Alternative I used. Hope that helps. =) God Bless! ~Erika
Just purchase vegan marshmallows. Sara and Sweet is one option and Trader Joe’s now carries Dandies. No GMOs either. And yes. Coconut oil in place of butter.
Re-check those nutrition facts. They state that 1 treat has 120 calories, but no macronutrients and no sugar.