I love cranberries… especially the tart *pop* that they give to holiday recipes & muffins! I could not find a single Dairy & Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Muffin recipe online that tasted good… so I got a little crazy in the kitchen and came up with my own.
I felt a little like Goldilocks while coming up with this recipe… With my first batch, I tried natural dried cranberries – but those just didn’t have the same zing as fresh cranberries; The second batch didn’t have enough orange zest to balance the two flavors; But, the third batch was just right! You’d never know they’re Dairy & Gluten free!
Just in time for Thanksgiving & Christmas… Here is my version of the perfect Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Muffin Recipe… Enjoy!
The special tools featured in this recipe are:
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer – I have the 5 quart Artisan Mixer with Stainless Bowl
- VitaMix Blender with 64 ounce container & tamper.
- USA Pans – I use the 12 Cup Muffin Pans
- My Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend
- Pen Shape Stem Thermometer - I use this every time I bake – especially gluten free.
If you don’t already have a VitaMix or Excalibur Dehydrator, I strongly encourage you to check out what these machines are capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. For free shipping, be sure to use: Coupon Code: 06-004166
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ to 1 Cup Sugar – reserve a 1TBSP for topping. (adjust depending on if you like your muffins sweeter – I use ¾ Cup plus 1½ tsp for the topping)
- ⅓ cup Canola or Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Heaping Cup Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1 Cup Orange Puree with Zest from 1 Orange (see instructions below).
- 2 Cups of Erika’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line your Muffin Pan with Paper or Spray with Non-Stick Spray if necessary.
- In a Separate bowl, combine the Dry Ingredients and set-aside.
- Zest the rind of 1 Orange
- Puree your Orange by taking 1-2 Oranges (enough to make 1 cup of Puree) with the rind removed (and de-seeded if you don’t have a VitaMix). Then I add the Oranges WITH the Zest from 1 Orange into my VitaMix and blend until smooth.
- In your Stand Mixer, beat the 2 eggs on Medium speed for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in your sugar and mix for an additional 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in your oil and beat for an additional 1 minute – mixture should be light and fluffy at this point.
- Stop the Mixer and add your Vanilla, Cranberries & Orange Puree. Mix lightly until well blended.
- With the mixer running on low, gradually add in your Dry Ingredient Mixture and then blend for about 30 seconds on Medium speed to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into your prepared muffin pan and bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. I use my digital pen thermometer to ensure the muffins reach an internal temperature of approx. 200 degrees.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container once completely cooled.