I’m not sure when the tradition officially started, but when I was a little girl we had a garage sale every spring… It wasn’t just the annual garage sale that became tradition, but the special donut or pastry we got to pick out when we woke up early that morning. Eating sweets was a rare treat, but the special tradition stuck and it’s something my mom and I still do – even though none of us really enjoys eating them anymore.
When my children were old enough to join us, I had to find a way to include them in the tradition, but without making them sick or wired on unnecessary artificial ingredients.
As it turns out, this Gluten, Dairy & Grain Free Chocolate Cake Recipe also makes a perfect Donut – so the tradition can live on!
The special tools featured in this recipe are:
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- USA Donut Pans or USA Small Round Cake Pans or these Stainless Full Size Cake Pans
- Blanched Almond Flour (either from Nuts.com or Amazon.com)
If you don’t already have a VitaMix or Excalibur Dehydrator, I strongly encourage you to check out what these machines are capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. For free shipping, be sure to use: Coupon Code: 06-004166
- 1 Cup Firmly Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ⅓ Cup Organic Cane Sugar or Sugar Substitute (like Coconut Palm Sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Canola or Coconut Oil or Spectrum Palm Shortening or Butter
- 1½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1½ teaspoon Water, Milk, or Milk Alternative
- You may also need some Non-Stick Spray for oiling your Pans if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your Donut or Cake Pans with non-stick spray if necessary. I use the
- USA Donut Pans, so I don’t have to Oil the pans. You can also make muffins & use cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients.
- Beat using a hand mixer for a couple of minutes or Stand Mixer until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the Donut, Cake or Muffin Pan.
- Bake for approx. 17-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Top your cake with my Raw Chocolate Frosting, or frosting of your choice. For donuts, you can melt your favorite chocolate chips and drizzle on top or mix
- powdered sugar with just enough milk or water to make a glaze and glaze the donuts.
- Store in airtight container or in the fridge.
We made these for my son’s 4th birthday party…
kinda fitting that there were donuts at a Police & Firefighter themed birthday party! =)