When I’m on the go and get hungry, I am the most vulnerable for buying something I will regret eating later on. One of my go-to snack bars when I’m out, is the Pure Organic Chocolate Brownie Bar.
It’s an average size bar, but with fabulous organic ingredients that really fill me up without making my blood sugar spike & crash. Unfortunately, like most pre-made bars, they can be expensive! Our local Whole Foods has them for $2.49 per bar, but the cost drops in half to only $1.24 per bar with my Amazon Prime Subscribe & Save Discount & free shipping!
With only simple, whole ingredients, I wanted to see if I could make them for myself and save some money… So, I put my hair up, slapped on my apron, and pulled out my food processor… and they came out great! It may not come in a pretty little package, but they taste just as good, and cost a lot less!
So whether you decide to buy one, or make it yourself – this snack bar is a much healthier & better tasting alternative to most others. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
The special tools & Ingredients featured in this recipe are:
- Kitchen Aid Food Processor– I have the 12-Cup, but any good Food Processor will work.
- Excalibur Dehydrator – I have the 9-Tray Model with Timer with Non-Stick Paraflex Liners.
- Large Cookie or Muffin Scoop – Comes in handy for scooping cookie mix, muffins, cupcakes, treats, meatballs, ice cream & more!
- Fresh, Raw Nuts, Almond Flour & Unsweetened Cocoa – Nuts.com or Amazon are my go-to places for these items.
- 8 Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Raw Almonds
- ¾ Cup Raw Walnuts
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ Cup Agave Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Blanched Almond Flour or Rice Protein
- In a small bowl, cover the Pitted Dates & Raw Cashews with just enough water to cover them.
- Set aside to soak for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In your Food Processor, combine the Almonds, Walnuts, Unsweetened Cocoa & Salt - Pulse until finely chopped and well blended.
- Add in Agave Syrup & Vanilla and pulse until well blended. Stop & scrape sides if necessary.
- Drain water from Dates & Cashews and add them to Food Processor. Mix until everything is smooth and evenly blended.
- To bind ingredients better, add in the Blanched Almond Flour or Rice Protein and mix again until completely incorporated.
- Although you can enjoy this mixture raw (it is divine!), it holds together best and is far less sticky when dehydrated.
- I use a large cookie scoop to scoop the mixture onto the Excalibur Dehydrator trays lined with the Paraflex non-stick liners. Tip: I dip the scoop in warm water to help the mixture pop right out of the scoop without sticking.
- Place the filled tray into the Dehydrator at 115 degrees for 6 hours. The mixture should be moldable at this point and you can shape them into bars if you want. Either way, transfer them from the Paraflex liner to the mesh screen so that they dehydrate evenly on both sides.
- Allow to dehydrate an additional 12-24 hours until bars are dry to touch.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap for best portability.
- Store in Refrigerator to prolong shelf life (approx. 4-6 weeks).