Although I love cookbooks, I’m terrible at leaving recipes alone… I always want to modify and try out my own variations of recipes – especially desserts! This recipe is no different: I found a basic recipe for macaroons in a Raw Food books called “Raw Food – Real World”and tweaked it Hawaiian Style.
You don’t have to be a ‘Raw Foodie’ to enjoy this recipe – in fact, I have ‘Meat & Potato’ friends asking for more of these all the time. The best part is that they are actually good for you! The kind of ‘good’ that means they are actually doing good things to your body – like being full of antioxidants, energy and fuel. To top it all off, they are chocolaty and delicious!!
In it’s ‘raw’ form, chocolate is called Cacao (pronounced Kuh-Cow) and can be expensive… so I usually buy it from one of three places when it’s on sale:
Sometimes I use unusal ingredients so I’ll try to always list a few online buying options for you. If you ever have a hard time finding something, feel free to ask.
Ok, here’s the recipe along with a ‘how-to video’ for making ‘Raw Chocolate, Macadamia Nut Macaroons’.
The special tools featured in this recipe are:
- Refurbished 12 Cup Food Processor
- Excalibur Dehydrator - Model #3926T
- VitaMix – Model 5200 w/Dry Blade
Here is the ingredient list… or if you have the Living Cookbook software, you can download the free .fdx recipe file and import it:
Living Cookbook .fdx Recipe File:
Chocolate, Macadamia Macaroons (To Download: Right mouse click on the recipe and select ’save file as’ – Save to your computer and then you can import it into your Living Cookbook program. Or you may save the text file here – Macaroon .txt file
Raw Chocolate, Macadamia Macaroons
2 Cups Coconut (raw dehydrated and unsweetened- shredded or flakes)
1 Cup Raw Cacao Nibs (ground to powder)
1 Cup Raw Almonds (ground to flour/meal)
1/2 Cup Raw Macadamia Nuts (ground to flour/meal)
1 tsp Sea Salt
3/4 Cup Raw Agave Nectar
2 Tbs Raw Coconut Oil (cold pressed)
1 Tbs Pure Vanilla Extract
- In Food Processor – Combine Coconut, Cacao Powder*, Almond Meal/Flour*, Macadamia Nut Meal/Flour* and Salt. Pulse until well blended.
- Add Agave Nectar, Coconut Oil and Vanilla Extract to Food Processor and mix until dough forms (approx. 20-30 seconds).
- Scoop into ‘Macaroon’ balls and place on your Dehydrating Trays (be sure to have the non-stick sheets placed on top of the dehydrating screens first).
- Place macaroons into dehydrator. Set drying tempature at 110° – 115° and let dehydrate for approximately 8-12 hours. Then remove macaroons from the non-stick sheets and place directly on the dehydrating screens. Return to the dehydrator for an additional 12-18 hours or until macaroons are no longer sticky.
- Store Macaroons in Refrigerator in an airtight container or bag for up to 2 weeks. You can also store the cookies in the freezer for up to a month.
* Note: Use your VitaMix to grind the Cacao Nibs into Powder and your Almonds & Mac Nuts into a mealy flour before adding to the food processor.
Yield: 54 Cookies
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Dehydrating Time: 24-30 hours (depending on humidity)
Feel free to send me any questions or comments you may have!