If you didn’t know it already, I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Although the weather is great year ’round, there are no ‘great‘ Mexican food restaurants. This is a problem, because we love Mexican Food & especially Salsa. We use Salsa over Tacos, Burritos, Chips, Potatoes, Salads & more. But, this Fresh Salsa Recipe has us exclaiming ‘¡Olé!’ – even if it is 3500 miles from Mexico.
We’ve got a couple of serious rules when it comes to salsa. 1. It has to be Fresh, and 2. It cannot contain Vinegar. My husband also has his own rule: It must burn going in & out! O_o This is probably why he never gets bit by mosquitos!
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
This Homemade Salsa Recipe is Raw, Gluten Free, Vegan & Contains NO Vinegar. You can make it thick & chunky or Minced (Restaurant Style).
- 6 Large Tomatoes (de-stemmed)
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper (de-seeded to keep the Salsa Mild)
- 1 Sweet Onion (peeled)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (peeled)
- Juice from 1 Lime
- Leaves from 2-4 Cilantro Stalks – About 3-5 Tablespoons (or to taste)
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
- In your Food Processor or VitaMix, combine Jalapeño, Onion & Garlic and pulse until minced.
- Add in remaining ingredients & process until all ingredients are evenly minced & blended.
(mixture may appear pink at first, but will turn red after a few hours in the fridge).
- Serve immediately and/or Refrigerate any leftovers in sealed glass jars… Use within 7-10 days.
In the Instructional Video (above), I show making the Salsa in my Vitamix… which works great. However, I much prefer the consistency I get when I make it in my Food Processor (which I demonstrate in the photos below).
- Serving Size: 1/4 Cup
- Calories: 30