This Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Crisp Recipe smells like a little Heaven on Earth… and tastes like it too! It’s the perfect recipe to share with family & friends because it bakes up just like your Old Fashioned Apple Crisp, but you won’t even know what’s missing. Plus, it’s not over sweetened, so the apple flavor really comes through. Serve it up A la mode and it’ll be your new favorite dessert.
The tools & ingredients used in this recipe are:
This Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Crisp Recipe is So Delicious and Easy to make. It smells & tastes like a little Heaven on Earth! Prepare it ahead of time & freeze for cooking later. Everyone will love it!
- 4-6 Granny Smith Apples (peeled, cored, & chopped)
CRUMB CRUST & TOPPING:
- 1 Cup Erika’s Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (you can also use GF Oats)
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Cold Butter Alternative (I use Melt)
GLAZE FOR APPLES:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a Cookie Sheet with Foil and place your pie dish on it (this will catch any spillage while baking). Set-aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Crumb Ingredients. Use a fork or pastry tool to cut in the cold butter until crumbly.
- Take half of the Crumb mixture and press into the bottom of your pie dish. Place the pie dish & remaining Crumb mixture in fridge to chill while you prepare the apples & glaze.
- Peel, Core & Chop the Apples into bite sized chunks (you can also slice them thin for layering if you want). Place the apples into your prepared pie dish and return to the fridge while you prepare the glaze.
- In a small saucepan, combine the Glaze Ingredients & whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Stir regularly to avoid burning & lumps. (If you’re using cornstarch as your thickener, then stir until mixture turns from white to more clear & thickens. If you’re using tapioca starch/flour, then stir until mixture comes to a boil & begins to thicken). Remove Glaze from heat & immediately drizzle hot glaze over apples that are already in the pie dish.
- Use the remaining Crumb Topping to cover the apples & glaze, pressing down gently to form a top crust. Don’t worry, this doesn’t have to be perfect, just be sure to evenly cover the apples.
- With the pie dish on the cookie sheet, place the Apple Crisp onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for approximately 50-65 minutes until the Apples are tender. Mixture will sometimes boil & bubble as it heats up and thickens.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. Can be served warm (not hot), room temp, or chilled overnight. Serve alone or topped with your favorite Non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS: Try adding 1/4 cup of chopped cranberries for a tart zing & festive color.
FREEZE / MAKE AHEAD: To make ahead & freeze, prepare the Apple Crisp as you would normally, except do not bake it. Instead, cover the unbaked crisp with plastic wrap or foil and place into the freezer up to 10 days in advance. Remove from freezer & place in fridge at least 4 hours before baking. Remove the plastic wrap/foil and bake as you would normally, allowing for a little extra time if needed for the apples to soften. If crust begins to darken before apples are ready, loosely tent the crust until the final 5 minutes of baking.
LEFTOVERS: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg