For years, my family has colored Easter eggs and it’s one of my favorite traditions! But when my son was diagnosed with an egg allergy, we began adding new traditions so nobody was left out of the fun. This year we got creative with this Gluten Free & Vegan Easter Egg Recipe – Which is really just my Gluten Free & Vegan Rice Krispy Treats, but with a Eggs-cellent twist! =)
This recipe is so much fun! You can use the either the large or small plastic Easter eggs as molds for these treats. Try Chocolate Cereal or Popcorn in place of the Rice Cereal… Or, mold the treats around candy or small toys – just don’t choke on them! We found an adorable Garden Gnome Egg Decorating Kit at Target this year. The kids had a blast decorating the ‘Eggs’ with eyes and beards, sneaking little bites off them as we went.
Wondering what else we substitute in our Easter Baskets? Here’s a few more Allergy Friendly Easter Basket Ideas for Kids:
- Plastic Eggs filled with Little Toys or Treats: Water balloons, Army Men, Punching Balloons, Stickers, Party Favors, Bubbles, or Play-doh – The Dollar section is my favorite place for this stuff.
- Allergy Friendly Candies & Gum
- Seed Kits or Gardening Kits
- Gift Certificates for Movies, Love Coupons (Like these & these on Etsy), or Audible Books (Our Kid’s Favorite Audible right now is Henry Huggins by Beverly Clearly)
- Fish or Small Pet (Our favorite fish bowl)
The Tools & Ingredients used in this Recipe:
Here’s an Eggs-cellent twist on my classic Gluten Free & Vegan Rice Cereal Treats… Use a variety of ingredients & shapes to come up with your own Allergy Friendly fun for Easter.
- 6 Cups Natural Rice Cereal or 8 Cups Popcorn
- 1 Bag (10 Ounces) of Dandies Vegan Vanilla Marshmallows (these are the BEST store bought natural marshmallows I’ve ever tasted)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Alternative – I use Melt, but you can also use Coconut Oil (reserve about 1/2 Tablespoon to grease your molds)
- Plastic Easter Eggs (large or small), or other Molds / Shape Cutters.
Optional Ingredients & Decorative Ideas:
- Chocolate Chips
- Nuts or Seeds
- Nut or Seed Butter
- Egg Decorating Kits
- Grease the Plastic Eggs or Molds with Butter Alternative.
- In a medium bowl, measure out the Rice Cereal or Popcorn and set-aside while you prepare the Marshmallow Mixture (see directions for Microwave & Stovetop below).
- Once your Marshmallow Mixture is ready, pour over Rice Cereal or Popcorn & begin mixing gently with your spatula until all cereal is coated evenly. You can add any optional ingredients at this point – but be aware that chocolate chips or candies may melt while the temp is still hot.
- Press the coated cereal/popcorn into your prepared molds. You may want to grease your fingers or spatula to make this step less ‘sticky.’
- Let the mixture cool completely & ‘set-up’ before serving. This step takes about 10 minutes, but can be sped up by placing it in the fridge for 3-5 minutes.
- Decorate if desired & Enjoy!
- In microwave safe bowl, melt Butter & Marshmallows for approximately 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on high. Stirring every 30 seconds with a spatula until Marshmallows are completely melted & appear ‘puffy’.
- In medium saucepan, melt Butter & Marshmallows over Medium Heat. Stir regularly with a spatula until Marshmallows are completely melted and appear ‘puffy’. Do not let the mixture burn.
Storage: Store in airtight container for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1 Treat
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Popcorn & Rice Cereal Worked Perfectly! You Can Use Popcorn in Place of Rice Cereal for these Easter Non-Egg Treats
Use your Plastic Egg as a mold for the Popcorn or Rice Krispy Treat
The Plastic Easter Egg Worked Like a Charm!
Garden Gnomes & Fairies Joined the Party!
We Used SkinnyPop for this Recipe… It only has 3 Organic & NonGMO Ingredients.
Easter is one of my favorite holidays. After a long winter, it comes at just the right time to bring the hope of Spring! As a Christian, it is a significant holiday for my family because we take the day to remember the Resurrection of Jesus, and the hope we find in Him all year-round. Happy Easter to you all & God Bless! =) ~Erika