Most people are familiar with the two most famous ‘Nut’ Butters: Peanut Butter & Almond Butter… but have you ever tried Coconut Butter?
A few years ago, I dug deep into my pocketbook a bought a jar of the stuff – it was expensive & unfortunately, divinely delicious! I knew I couldn’t afford to keep buying it, so I savored the contents of that jar as long as humanly possible.
At some point it dawned on me that I could make it myself! It didn’t take long for me & my trusty Vitamix to duplicate the texture & flavor of my favorite store-bought brand ‘Artisana‘, but for a fraction of the cost! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the most rewarding.
If you don’t already have a Vitamix, I strongly encourage you to check out what this machine is capable of! For more information about Vitamix you can go directly to the Vitamix website.
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
This Raw, Coconut Butter Recipe is a perfect alternative to the expensive store bought version & tastes amazing! It takes less than 5 minutes to make & is Gluten Free & Vegan.
- 1/2 Cup Natural Shredded or Flaked Coconut (NOT the low fat kind and NO sugar added)
- 2–3 Teaspoons Coconut Oil (Cold Pressed, Unrefined)
- Start with a completely dry VitaMix container.
- Pour the Coconut Flakes into the container and blend into a fine Coconut Flour – Start at Variable Speed 1 and work your way up to 10 Stopping & Starting as necessary to stir the Coconut so it will grind evenly.
- Add in the Coconut Oil, one teaspoon at a time, stopping to blend on High, until mixture is the desired consistency.
- You will need to stop & start the VitaMix a few times and scrape the coconut butter down. The mixture will become warm and should blend up smooth.
This recipe works better when made in smaller batches… but you can double the recipe and it should still work fine. Just don’t overload your VitaMix when attempting this recipe – the end result might not be as smooth.
Storage: Because of the nature of Coconut, you should store the Coconut Butter in an airtight container in your pantry at room temperature. If the oil & meat separate, that’s ok… Just stir it up a bit before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- Calories: 115