One of the downsides to living in a place where we have year-round summer temperatures is the Mosquitos & other biting bugs that pester us all of the time. I am one of the unlucky people who always gets eaten alive – I can be standing among other people, and the mosquitos single me out for their dinner. The next morning my legs look like a bad science experiment & I’m miserable for days.
A few years ago I began testing natural bug sprays & was so disappointed with how weak & ineffective they were. But, I didn’t want to go back to using chemical based sprays – So I started mixing my own essential oil blends & was surprised with the results. After several test batches, I finally came up with an All Natural Bug Spray Recipe using Essential Oils that works amazing & smells heavenly!
My favorite place to buy Essential Oils is at Rocky Mountain Oils – Which is NOT a Multi-Level Marketing Company. But, they do offer the same high-quality Pure Essential Oils for a fraction of the cost. I’ve tried all the others brands & ended up using RMO exclusively for the past few years – I’ve never been disappointed. Their oils work, their customer service is outstanding & they ship lightening fast!
The Essential Oils used in this recipe are good for SO much more than just bug spray… I diffuse them, blend them, wear them, make household & beauty products with them, and even cook with them. I store my Essential Oils in this wooden box by Aroma Outfitters that my husband bought me for Christmas. I also love this diffusing necklace that a friend gave me – I can wear whatever Oil blend I want around my neck, all day long. Look for more recipes using EO’s coming soon.
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
Natural Bug Spray Recipe – With Essential Oils
This All Natural Bug Spray Recipe uses Essential Oils and is SO easy to make. It really works well & smells wonderful!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 Ounces
- Category: How To Make
- Cuisine: DIY
- 1/2 Cup (4 Ounces) Witch Hazel or Vodka
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons (3 Ounces) Distilled Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vegetable Glycerin
- 10-15 Drops of Each Pure Essential Oils (food grade) – These are the ones I found to be most effective, but feel free to adjust the quantity for the ones you have on hand: Cinnamon, Clove, Cedar, Lemongrass, Tea Tree (aka Melaleuca), Lavender, Citronella, Peppermint – Do not use EO’s that are phototoxic on your skin when exposed to light (like Bergamot & Citrus Oils).
- Using a Small Funnel, add all ingredients to a clean 8 ounce spray bottle.
- Screw the Spray Cap on tightly and shake vigorously until well blended.
- Store bottle in a cool, dark place when not in use. Blend will typically last 6 months to a year depending on the quality & freshness of the Essential Oils & exposure to light.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:
- Spray on exposed areas of the body. I also lightly spray my shoes, hat & clothing to repel ticks, fleas & other insects. Always test the bug spray on a small patch of skin to check for an allergic reaction before using any essential oil blend for the first time. You also want to be careful when applying it on or near clothing to make sure it doesn’t stain.
- If applying to Pets, be sure to spray the collar or neck area, so they can’t lick it off.
- Please remember to always use Essential Oils responsibly: If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your health practitioner before using.
- Extreme caution should be taken when using Essential Oils on young children. I never give my children Essential Oils internally unless they are Food Grade & worked into a recipe for proper dilution.
- Label your homemade Essential Oil – This will help you remember what’s in them.
- Whenever possible, use dark colored or amber glass bottles for products containing essential oils. Store in a cool, dark place when not using.
- Serving Size: 1 Spray
- Calories: 0