The ice cream truck just passed my house like it does everyday, blaring the same warbly tune we all remember as kids. My boys stare out the window to watch all the neighbor kids running out to buy their treats. I’m fairly certain the ice cream man doesn’t carry a Dairy Free, Dye Free version of anything, and my heart sinks a little knowing my kids feel left out.
I can still remember what I picked out as a kid… an Orange Creamsicle. Do you remember those? It was the Orange Popsicle with the white cream center. I haven’t had one of those in years, but if I close my eyes, I can still remember exactly what they taste like… and the artificial ingredients they’re made with.
Determined to re-create a healthy and non-allergenic experience my own kids will remember, I set out to make a Raw, Vegan, and Sugar Free version of my favorite childhood treat. After a couple of batches, I think I’ve come pretty darn close. My kids absolutely love them, and now I keep a batch in the freezer to pull out when we hear the music coming down the road.
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:Print
A natural spin on a classic dessert… This Natural Orange Creamsicle Recipe is Gluten Free, Vegan & Sugar Free! It whips up in less than 5 minutes in your Vitamix.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews – Soaked for 1/2 Hour (then drain)
- 4–5 Pitted Dates – Soaked for 1/2 Hour (then drain)
- 2 Whole Oranges (peeled – no need to de-seed them if you’re using a Vitamix)
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- 2 Cups Milk Alternative (you can also use Dairy)
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 Drops of Liquid Stevia (or to taste)
- 2–3 Drops of Food Grade Essential Oil (or to taste), or 1/4 tsp Orange Extract, or Zest from Orange Peel
BLEND IN LAST:
- 3 Cups of Ice
- Soak your Cashews & Dates in the Vitamix Container with just enough water to cover them. Soak for about 30 minutes (this step isn’t required, but it does make it a bit creamier & easier to blend)
- In Vitamix, combine all the remaining ingredients in order listed – except Ice.
- Start on Variable Speed 1, working your way up to 10, then to High.
- Once everything is completely smooth, add in Ice.
- Blend again (using the Vitamix Tamper if necessary) until all ingredients are running smoothly through the machine and everything is well blended.
- Mixture should be runny, but smooth and creamy.
- Pour into your favorite Popsicle Molds and freeze 4-8 hours or until completely frozen.
- This recipe can easily be scaled (smaller or larger).
- This recipe is delicious as a smoothie too!
- Serving Size: 1 Popsicle
- Calories: 100