I’ve been talking so much about Garbanzo Bean/Chickpea Brine lately that I thought I’d post a couple of our favorite recipes on what to do with all those beans!
Hummus is one of our family’s all-time favorite foods! We use it on our Homemade Gluten Free Naan / Pita Bread, On Sandwiches, Salads, Veggies, Chips & more! Sure you can buy Hummus pre-made in the store, but like everything else – Homemade is best! Plus, we throw in one extra ingredient that I think makes this Hummus Recipe a winner.
If you have a Vitamix, then this Homemade Hummus Recipe couldn’t be easier… you just toss it all in there and in less than 2 minutes out comes perfect Hummus!
Here are the the tools & ingredients used in this recipe:
- 2 Cans (15 oz each) of Garbanzo Beans (drained - but save that brine for future use)
- ⅓ Cup Whole Sesame Seeds (or Tahini)
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice (or juice from approx. 2 Fresh Lemons)
- 1 Fresh Clove of Garlic (peeled)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (I use Himalayan Pink Salt -which is a little less salty)
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Can (5-6 Oz) Black Olives PLUS half can of the Olive Juice (approx. ½ cup) - drain half liquid from can - reserve the rest for recipe.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT the Olives & Olive Juice in Vitamix & blend on Variable speed 10 / High until completely smooth - approx. 30-60 seconds. Use your tamper to push everything down into the blades for a more even blend.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add in the Olives & reserved Olive Juice & blend again on Variable Speed 10 - using your tamper - until everything is well mixed & smooth.
- Using a Spatula or Scraper, place Hummus into serving dish or glass storage container with airtight lid. You can serve the Hummus immediately, or keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.