The ice cream truck just passed my house like it does everyday, blaring the same warbly tune we all remember as kids. My 3 boys stare out the window to watch all the neighbor kids running out to buy their treats. I’m fairly certain the ice cream man doesn’t carry a Dairy Free, Dye Free version of anything, and my heart sinks a little knowing my kids feel left out.
I can still remember what I picked out as a kid… an Orange Creamsicle. Do you remember those? It was the Orange Popsicle with the white cream center. I haven’t had one of those in years, but if I close my eyes, I can still remember exactly what they taste like… and the artificial ingredients they’re made with.
Determined to re-create a healthy and non-allergenic experience my own kids will remember, I set out to make a Raw, Dairy Free, and Sugar Free version of my favorite childhood treat. After a couple of batches, I think I’ve come pretty darn close. My kids absolutely love them, and now I keep a batch in the freezer to pull out when we hear the music coming down the road.
Feel free to post any questions or comments you may have & don’t forget to subscribe here or at YouTube so you’ll know when I have a new video up.
The special tools & ingredients featured in this recipe are:
- VitaMix Blender / Kitchen Tool
- Tovolo Star Shaped Popsicle Molds – They have many other Cute Popsicle Molds at Amazon!
- Raw Cashews
- Liquid Stevia – I like the Alcohol Free, Vanilla Flavor
- Pure Orange Extract – I use an Alcohol Free Orange Oil
- I buy almost all of my supplies from Nuts.com or Amazon.com – they are both AWESOME!!
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews – Soaked for ½ Hour (then drain)
- 4-5 Pitted Dates – Soaked for ½ Hour (then drain)
- 2 Whole Oranges (peeled - no need to de-seed them if you're using a Vitamix)
- Juice from ½ Lime
- 2 Cups Milk Alternative (you can also use Dairy)
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 Drops of Liquid Stevia (or to taste)
- ¼ Teaspoon Natural Orange Extract or Zest from Peel (or to taste)
- 3 Cups of Ice
- Soak your Cashews & Dates in the Vitamix Container with just enough water to cover them. Soak for about 30 minutes (this step isn't required, but it does make it a bit creamier & easier to blend)
- In VitaMix, combine all the remaining ingredients in order listed – except Ice.
- Start on Variable Speed 1, working your way up to 10, then to High.
- Once everything is completely smooth, add in Ice.
- Blend again (using the VitaMix Tamper if necessary) until all ingredients are running smoothly through the machine and everything is well blended.
- Mixture should be runny, but smooth and creamy.
- Pour into your favorite Popsicle Molds and freeze 4-8 hours or until completely frozen.
This recipe is delicious as a smoothie too!