The ice cream truck just passed my house like it does everyday, blaring the same warbly tune we all remember as kids. My 3 boys stare out the window to watch all the neighbor kids running out to buy their treats. I’m fairly certain the ice cream man doesn’t carry a Dairy Free, Dye Free version of anything, and my heart sinks a little knowing my kids feel left out.
I can still remember what I picked out as a kid… an Orange Creamsicle. Do you remember those? It was the Orange Popsicle with the white cream center. I haven’t had one of those in years, but if I close my eyes, I can still remember exactly what they taste like… and the artificial ingredients they’re made with.
Determined to re-create a healthy and non-allergenic experience my own kids will remember, I set out to make a Raw, Dairy Free, and Sugar Free version of my favorite childhood treat. After a couple of batches, I think I’ve come pretty darn close. My kids absolutely love them, and now I keep a batch in the freezer to pull out when we hear the music coming down the road.
Feel free to post any questions or comments you may have & don’t forget to subscribe here or at YouTube so you’ll know when I have a new video up.
The special tools & ingredients featured in this recipe are:
- VitaMix Blender / Kitchen Tool
- Tovolo Star Shaped Popsicle Molds – They have many other Cute Popsicle Molds at Amazon!
- Raw Cashews
- Liquid Stevia – I like the Alcohol Free, Vanilla Flavor
- Pure Orange Extract – I use an Alcohol Free Orange Oil
- I buy almost all of my supplies from Nuts.com or Amazon.com – they are both AWESOME!!
If you don’t already have a VitaMix, I strongly encourage you to check out what this machine is capable of! For more information about VitaMix you can go directly to the VitaMix website. For free shipping, be sure to use: Coupon Code: 06-004166
If you have the Living Cookbook software, you can import the free recipe file by cutting and pasting it right into your program.
Raw & Natural Orange Creamsicle in the VitaMix – Dairy & Sugar Free!
This recipe makes approximately 64 ounces, since we like to drink a cup of it before freezing the Popsicles… but feel free to scale it in half if you don’t need so much.
All ingredients I used in the video were Organic.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews – Soaked for 1 Hour (then drain)
- 4-5 Pitted Dates – Soaked for 1 Hour (then drain)
- 2 Whole Oranges (peeled)
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- 2 Cups Milk Alternative – Almond, Rice, Soy, or Dairy if you prefer.
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 Drops of Liquid Stevia (or to taste)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Natural Orange Extract or Zest from Peel (or to taste)
- 3 Cups of Ice
1. In VitaMix, combine all ingredients in order listed – except Ice.
2. Start on Variable Speed 1, working your way up to 10, then to High.
3. Once everything is completely smooth, add in Ice.
4. Blend again (using the VitaMix Tamper if necessary) until all ingredients are running smoothly through the machine and everything is well blended.
5. Mixture should be runny, but smooth and creamy.
6. Pour into your favorite Popsicle Molds and freeze 4-8 hours or until completely frozen.
Yields: Approximately 64 ounces (8 cups)
Preparation & Cooking Time: 5 minutes prep (plus 1 hour soak time for nuts)
Feel free to send me any questions or comments you may have!