I’m sure my husband thinks I’m crazy (no news there), and I’m still not exactly sure why I do it: But I keep a running list of my pet peeves on a notepad in our junk drawer. Oftentimes something will strike me so offensive or frustrating, it seems fit to be noted for future reference.
Although there are more than ten items on the list, I’ve narrowed it down to the top 10 offenders. I figure if Dave Letterman can keep a list… so can I.
- Double Dipping: Is there anything grosser than this – especially when it’s not family?
- Licking Fingers: Just use a napkin for crying out loud! The worst one is when somebody keeps wiping the drips off a ketchup bottle and using the same finger to lick it off – and in a restaurant too! Double Gross!
- Spitting / Phlegm: Why do people feel like it’s ok to snarl up a loogie then spit on the street? And please don’t work on one while I’m trying to eat!
- Whining: It’s like nails on a chalkboard – but you already know about this one from my other post.
- Laziness: I understand the need for a break, but when I have to do someone else’s job for them, that really drives me crazy – especially if they’re getting paid to do it.
- Littering: Especially when smokers throw their cigarette butts out the car window or on the ground.
- Lying: Just tell me the truth… I can handle it – really!
- Winking: Do you really think some girl is going to find you irresistible if you wink at her? Plus, it’s usually associated with Lying (see above peeve).
- Cussing: Nothing says ‘I’m Immature’ like a foul mouth. And no, it doesn’t make you sound ‘cool.’
- Obsessions with Famous People: Come on, they poop on the toilet just like we do! They just get paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it.
Instead of taking it too seriously, my ‘Top Ten List’ has actually become a running gag in our family, and oftentimes lightens the tension when someone ‘offends’ one of them. More than once, we find ourselves laughing at the list and the idea of something getting added to it.
Since you’re human too, I know there’s a few things that drive you crazy… let me know - perhaps I’ll add to my list! :-)