When I hear people use the word ‘comfort food’, I immediately think of Pumpkin Pie. It isn’t the pie so much as it was the people that made the pie so special. Family, friends, cold nights, a roaring fire, playing card games until late, & watching The Sound of Music while my sister & I sang along – much to the horror of our poor brother who quickly abandoned us for his GI Joe’s.
Growing up, pumpkin pie meant a ‘factory baked, homemade’ Mrs. Smith’s Pumpkin Custard Pie that we bought when they went on sale 2 for $5 around Thanksgiving & Christmas. We always had leftovers and I thought it tasted even better cold the next day.
Now, when the holidays roll around, I make our family a very special Soy, Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe that allows us all to enjoy it without the allergies or gross ingredients… Sorry Mrs. Smith! This recipe works fantastically with my Gluten Free Pie Crust.
The Tools & Ingredients Used in this Recipe:
Soy, Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe is also Dairy Free & Soy Free! Use with my Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 9" Pie
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 Unbaked Regular or Gluten Free Pie Shell
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed – See Sugar Alternatives Below
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- If you’re NOT Using Canned Coconut Milk, then whisk in: 2 Tablespoon Thickener (such as Corn Starch, Tapioca Starch)
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Whisk the sugars, spices, salt and thickener (if using) in a small bowl.
- Measure out the milk & vanilla in a measuring cup.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the eggs.
- Beat in the sugar mixture, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold in the coconut milk, or milk alternative & vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust and bake at 425º for 15 minutes. (I recommend putting your pie tin on a larger cookie sheet lined in foil for baking. This helps with any unforeseen spills. Plus it makes putting in and taking out the pie easier)
- Reduce the temperature to 350º and continue to bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Center should be set nicely & firm, but will continue to firm up as it cools if seems a little underdone. You don’t’ want to risk burning the pie or crust.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use 3/4 Cup of Any Crystalized Natural Sugar in place of the sugars listed above (ie. coconut / palm sugar, sucanat, maple sugar, date sugar, etc… ) However, I don’t suggest using Honey since it doesn’t always set-up well in this type of recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 290