Ever wonder what to do with those ugly brown bananas that you’re getting ready to throw away? This is the perfect whole food recipe for ‘Monkey Muffins’ (aka Banana Bread), using NO refined Sugar or Oil!! Plus the ingredients are actually healthy for you and they taste so good!
I always keep these mini-muffins on hand in the freezer for when I get that ‘gotta have bread’ craving… one little muffin will usually do the trick! They’re also perfect for my teething toddler – I just take one out of the freezer and let my little monkey happily gnaw on one (without nuts).
I use this recipe to make my second son’s first birthday cake. This way, he could still messily devour his cake without me having to worry about all that horrible sugar and food coloring!
The special tools & ingredients I used in this recipe are:
- 1½ cups Flour (you can use any flour - Regular or Gluten Free)
- ½ cup Ground Flax Meal (I grind mine fresh in the VitaMix right before - if you don't do this, just be sure that your flax meal is fresh)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3 Ripe Bananas (the riper they are, the better & sweeter they will be)
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 1 Cup Milk or Milk Alternative (Coconut, Almond, Soy, Rice, etc...)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- Natural Coconut
- Chopped Nuts
- Shredded Carrots
- Whole Almonds
- Pre-Heat Oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium sized bowl, combine Dry Mix Ingredients & set aside.
- In small bowl (or in VitaMix/Blender), beat wet ingredients until smooth and well pureed.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Fold in any optional ingredients.
- Pour mixture into greased or papered muffin pans.
- Garnish with optional toppings before baking.
- Bake for approximately 15 - 20 minutes until tops brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool completely before storing in a Ziploc bag.
- Store muffins in airtight container on counter or refrigerator.